For those selling their home, staging can make the difference between a home sitting on the market for months on end or flying off the market in a matter of days. A survey was done by Coldwell Banker Real Estate found that homes that had been staged spent half the time on the market compared to those that were not. In addition, the staged homes sold for more than 6% above asking price. Staging also makes online photos stand out more and an NAR survey found that 90% of home buyers search online first. The Ellen Clark Team has put together some helpful pointers for staging your home to make the process easier.
- Remove any excess furniture and rearrange/move furniture that could be better suited for other rooms. You want to ensure that the potential buyer can see their self and their things in the space. Create a natural flow for each room. For example, living room furniture should be set up for conversation and entertainment.
- Re-paint in neutral colors.
- Add lamps, rugs, and mirrors to update rooms and make them appear larger.
- Replace outdated or worn hardware throughout the house including light switch plates, cabinet handles, faucets, the toilet seat, etc. These little details make all the difference!
- Add houseplants/flowers to create focal points in rooms.
- Remove personal photos and de-clutter all areas of the home. Pay particular attention to counter-tops.
- Remove excess clothing from closets. You want to highlight the space and have it not appear smaller by over-crowding. Also, make sure all hangers are faced in the same direction.
- Simple things like new hand towels and decor in the bathroom can make a huge impact. Choose colors that pop and match.
- If your bedspread is outdated or does not compliment the theme of the room, consider investing in a new bed set. Try to choose accessories and bedding that are gender neutral.
- Add area rugs as needed and make sure wood floors are clean. If the home has carpet it is advised to have it professionally cleaned or redone depending on its condition from wear and tear. Consider having wood floors refinished if they are in bad shape.
- Clean! Windows, stainless steel, under the sink, you name it! If your home is sparkly and fresh people will be more apt to put in their offer. Make sure you get all the grime that accrues over time in the kitchen and bathrooms. These are areas people are sure to notice. A little trick for eliminating odors: put a lemon half in the garbage disposal. This will release a natural fresh clean aroma.
- After windows are clean, open up blinds/curtains to allow natural light in and show off the view of your home.
- Organize cabinets/cupboards. Pack up all dishware except one matching set, same goes for glassware and stemware. This will create more space.
- Repair any squeaky doors or cabinets. WD-40 is your friend.
- Think about adding dimmers for lighting. This is a small addition, but people love these in living, family, and dining rooms.
- Check the gutters and roof for dry rot and moss. Clean the gutters.
- Repair roofing, siding, and windows as needed. This not only improves the visual aesthetic of the home but also has avoided any devaluing of the home during the inspection.
- Power wash the exterior including the deck, sidewalk, and vinyl siding. These can look brand new afterward but be careful as if not done properly can remove paint.
- Patch up the driveway and concrete walkways.
- Repaint the front door, fence, and any other wood features outside that could use a fresh coat.
- Mow the lawn and re-seed/add sod if needed.
- Cut back overgrown shrubs and trees. Remove dead debris. Clean up flower beds and add new flowers if needed.
- Add potted plants to walkway or front porch of the home.
- Update exterior hardware including door handles, the mailbox, and the house numbers. These are low-cost updates that can really make your home stand out.
- Accessorize the exterior. Add a seating area to the front porch or a new doormat. You could also hang a seasonal wreath on your freshly painted door.
- Keep porch light on at night in case potential buyers drive by during the evening hours.
We hope these tips will be helpful in the selling process of your home. If you do not have time for DIY staging you can also consult a local staging professional. Remember, details make all the difference in getting the most return on your investments and ensuring your home sells quickly. Contact Patricia Clark with the Ellen Clark Team if you are looking to list or buy a home TODAY! 804-387-2976/ firstname.lastname@example.org
7302 Belmont Stakes Drive is located in the Triple Crown neighborhood of Midlothian, Virginia. This charming two story home was built in 1991 and has so much to offer! It is located on .68 acres and has 1,556 square feet. It is in the Chesterfield County School District( Albert Smith Elementary, Bailey Bridge Middle, and Manchester High) and is located close to shopping, restaurants, Powhite Parkway, and 288.
The home features a beautiful country front porch. The family room has a cathedral ceiling with skylights and a gas fireplace. The kitchen, which has been renovated, has granite counter tops, a deep under mount sink, refinished cabinets, subway tile backsplash, new hardware/fixtures/lighting, new flooring, newer appliances, and a pantry. There is a large eat-in area with sliding glass doors that open up to the deck which overlooks the backyard and white vinyl privacy fence. The bedrooms have ceiling fans and newer Pergo flooring. There are 3 bedrooms, one first floor master, and one second floor master. There is a large loft that overlooks the family room that could be a great study or playroom. The bathrooms have been renovated with ceramic tile flooring, newer lighting/fixtures/hardware. There is a new water heater, newer roof (2013), and newer windows (2015). The home is situated in a cul-de-sac and has attached and detached storage sheds.
With the location of this home and all it has to offer for $204,500, 7302 Belmont Stakes Drive is sure to move quickly. If interested in learning more about this property or to schedule a showing contact Patricia Clark of the Ellen Clark Team TODAY!
By Phone: 804-387-2976
By Email: email@example.com
13642 Decidedly Court is located in the Deer Run neighborhood of Midlothian, Virginia. This neighborhood is conveniently located just minutes from local shopping, restaurants, and highways ( 288, Powhite Parkway, 150, and 95). It is in a great area, close to parks and attractions such as Pocahontas State Park and the Richmond Metropolitan Zoo. It is a short drive to the city of Richmond (great for those who work in the business district), Short Pump, and Stony Point. This home falls in the prestigious Chesterfield County School System: Alberta Smith Elementary, Bailey Bridge Middle, and Manchester High.
This home features 1,656 square feet and sits on .64 acres. It has a large family room with a rustic wood burning fireplace. It also has beautiful garden doors that open to the over-sized deck which overlooks the spacious and private fenced-in back yard. There is a formal dining room which could also be used as an office or a playroom, great for those who work from home or those with children. The beautiful kitchen features a large eat-in area, pantry, stainless steel appliances, tile back-splash and walks out to the laundry/mud room that has a separate side entrance to the home. The large master bedroom has a huge walk-in closet and private bathroom. This property also features attached and detached storage sheds. This home has low maintenance vinyl siding, a 30-year dimensional roof, paved driveway, and sits in a peaceful cul-de-sac.
With three bedrooms and 2 and a half bathrooms, this is the home of your dreams! The asking price is only $215,000. This lovely home won’t be around for long so contact Patricia Clark with the Ellen Clark Team to schedule a showing TODAY!
By Phone: (804) 387-2976
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
6353 Greenback Drive is located in the Sherrington neighborhood of Mechanicsville, Va. This neighborhood is just minutes from the beloved Pole Green Park and the Pole Green Produce Market. It is close to 295, 360, 301, 95 and 64 and a twenty-minute drive to the City of Richmond. The Sherrington neighborhood community association has a pool and clubhouse. 6353 Greenback is a part of the Hanover School District: Pole Green Elementary, Oak Knoll Middle, and Hanover High Schools.
The home features a charming wrap around front porch. The entry hall and kitchen have wood flooring. There is a first-floor bedroom with door leading out to the front porch and has a full bathroom. The family room has a gas fireplace with access to the covered back porch which overlooks the large private back yard. The kitchen has beautiful oak cabinets, a new dishwasher, tile back splash, built in shelving, display cabinets, pantry, and a large eat-in area that open to the family room. The second floor has three other bedrooms and amazing closet space. The master bath has a double vanity, shower, jetted tub and HUGE walk in closet. There is a huge bedroom with great natural lighting. There is also a large walk up unfinished attic, great for storage but could also be easily finished. This home has vinyl siding, vinyl windows, a paved driveway, an attached 2 car garage, and a full irrigation system for the yard. This home has newer HVAC and a whole house generator.
With 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, this is the home you’ve been looking for. The asking price is $320,000 and with the market being hot it won’t be around for long. Contact Patricia Clark with the Ellen Clark Team to learn more about 6353 Greenback Drive and to schedule a showing.
By Phone:(804) 387-2976
By Email: email@example.com
The Ellen Clark Team is featuring a gorgeous transitional home located on .36 acres in the sought after Foxcroft neighborhood. This 2 story home was built in 1997 and has an all brick front. It is conveniently located near 288 and 360 and in the prestigious Chesterfield County School System (Woolridge Elementary, Tomahawk Creek Middle, and Cosby High). With an asking price of $365,000, this is the home you have been searching for!
- 2,730 square feet
- 4 bedrooms
- 2 full bath one half
- Association offers clubhouse, common area, tennis courts, jogging path and pool
- Freshly painted interior
- Wood flooring throughout the first floor
- Formal dining room with bay window
- Formal living room with french doors
- Family room with gas fireplace, cathedral ceiling, and skylights
- Updated and spacious kitchen with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, island, and large eat-in area
- Oversized maintenance free Trex deck
- Master suite with walk-in closet, double vanity, and large jetted tub
- Bedrooms with ample closet space
- Updated lighting and fixtures
- Spacious walk-up attic
- Low maintenance brick and vinyl siding
- 2 car side entry garage
- Front, rear, and side irrigation system
- Convenient to 360/288/150/95
This Chesterfield gem is sure to move quickly so call Patricia Clark at 804-387-2976 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your showing TODAY!
With Father’s day coming up June 18th, it is crunch time to start thinking of ways to recognize Dad. There are so many gifts one can buy for their dad but the best way to celebrate and show you appreciate yours is by spending quality time together. To take the stress out of choosing what to do, the Ellen Clark Team has compiled a list of fun activities for you, the family, and dad to all do together.
- Fishing: Whether your dad already has his own spot or you decide to venture out and find a new one, fishing is a great way to bond. The James River has plenty of great fishing locations. Check out Flatwater Park near the Huguenot Bridge, Bell Isle, Robious Landing, or Ancarrows Landing. The Upper and Lower James house brim, a variety of bass, and catfish.
- Go-Karting: Go-Karts have fun written all over them for the dad that craves adrenaline. Of course, since it’s Father’s Day, you should let your dad win. Thunderbolt Indoor Karts offers electric karts and offers a Sunday Funday special pricing. Windy Hill Sports Complex and G-Force Karts offer outdoor karting and are also located in the Central Virginia area.
- Movies: Tried and true, seeing a movie together is always a great idea. All the summer hits are out. Releases for this weekend include Cars 3, Rough Night, and 47 Meters Down. If you want to try something to enhance the experience for Dad, Cinebistro is always a great option and gift cards are available. Not only can he see the new releases in luxurious seating, but all weekend there will be a special Vintage Steak House Speical offered in honor of the holiday. Please note Cinebistro Stony Point is for ages 21+.
- Golf/Mini-Golf: The US Open is this Sunday at 3 pm. Let dad watch in peace, snacks should be included. If your dad is a golfer himself, encourage him to hit the course. If you aren’t the golf fan he is but want to do something as a family, we suggest playing mini golf together or going to a golf range. There are several courses in the Central Virginia area including the Rockwood Golf Park, Windy Hill, Oasis Sports Park, Patterson Golf Park, and others. If you want him to try something really unique check out GlowGolf in Glen Allen which is indoor glow in the dark golf. A discounted rate is available for groups of 5 or more.
- Outdoor Water Adventures: Go boating, tubing, kayaking, or try stand up paddle boarding together. There are so many options available locally for a nice day on the James River or other local lakes. If you don’t have your own equipment rentals are available (James River Outdoor Adventures and Pocahontas State Park) and companies like Black Dog Paddle and Riverside Outfitters even offer instructed classes.
- Escape Room: This family-friendly adventure game is hosting dad for free this Sunday! Choose your room then solve the puzzles and clues to complete the tasks to ESCAPE! Reservations are still being accepted for Sunday and the cost is $25 per person.
- Richmond Bacon Festival: This is the 5th year the event is being hosted. Everything from bacon wrapped chocolate to alligator will be available. In addition, Dance Candy will be playing from 1 to 3 pm. Over 40 restaurants are participating so there is something for everyone (including vegans!). The festival is one block up from its typical 17th Street Market Location and is hosted from 12-5 PM on Sunday, June 18th.
- Beer Tasting: Take dad to any of the wonderful local craft breweries that have emerged over the last few years. Many offer taster samplers and this weekend some are having events geared towards fathers day. Hardywood will be hosting it’s “Father’s Day Keg-n-Oyster Fest” with Rappahannock River Oysters LLC. There will be oysters, crab cakes, and other food vendors Sunday the 18th from 12-6 PM. For the gluten free dad, check out a cidery or vineyard. Blue Bee and Busky are both located in Scott’s Addition.
- BBQ and Bluegrass Fest: This Saturday the 17th, the Kickers are holding their annual event which starts at 5:30 PM. There will be live bluegrass music (Cary Street Ramblers), BBQ provided by the Cultured Swine, and more. Tickets include your drinks as well as admission to the game (vs Tampa Bay Rowdies) at 7 PM. The cost of a ticket is $22.
- Dads Chores: There is nothing better than relaxing. Maybe take on his weekend tasks/chores for the day. Is there yard work he typically does? Clean the gutters. Mow the lawn. Finish that project around the house that needs to be done. A day of rest can be the best in the world.
Whatever it is you choose to do to celebrate dad, we hope you have fun and enjoy making memories with yours. Happy Father’s Day from the Ellen Clark Team!